March 1, 2012

Body Scans - the toll of extra weight

Body scans of 2 Women:
Left - 250 lbs.
Right - 130 lbs.
Notice the knee joints, heart size and fat around the internal organs and base of the brain..
This was from a share on Facebook. Sorry that it's kind of graphic, but it's a huge eye-opener for me.  Four years ago I went to the doctor for back pain, joint discomfort, etc. He looked at me and said, "Your body would love you a lot more if you were X pounds lighter." I went home offended and didn't go back to him, even though I knew he was totally right. It took three years for the message to hit home and for me to actually start doing something about it, and after falling off that wagon, I'm back on it again. My back pain is all but gone, no joint pain, and I feel so much better, even though I have a long way to go. A lot of that is strength training, but since I started the Paleo diet I feel "well" for the first time in years - lighter, tighter, not sure really how to describe it. 

I had read several years ago that there is something called the omentum, which is internal fat around our organs. I had always thought about the outer, visible fat, but the omentum is what makes us apples round. That's the dangerous fat that leads to cardiovascular disease, and you can see that in the scan on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment