March 11, 2012

Carrot Timbales

This is from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook, by Julie and Charles Mayfield, but I changed a couple of things, so this is my version:

2 T coconut oil
1 lb carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 T chopped sweet onion
1/4 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t curry powder
1/2 t dried thyme
1/3 c almond milk
2 large eggs

Heat oil in pan and cook carrots and onions on medium-low heat for 30 minutes, until tender. Let cool for five minutes. Preheat oven to 350, lightly grease 8-inch cake pan. In food processor, combine carrots/onions, all spices, and milk and puree until smooth. Add eggs and puree for 1 minute until well combined. Poor into cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Three of my kids liked this, and my husband and one son cleaned out the pan. I'm not a huge fan of carrots, especially cooked, but I really liked this! I could see how you could mess with the recipe and even make it more dessert-like with a little honey and cinnamon. I don't have a picture, because they ate it all. It's kind of a puffy, souffle-type thing, sweet and savory.

No comments:

Post a Comment